I was tagged several days ago by Hedwyg for the "8 random facts about you" meme, and I had it all completed, but then didn't want to tag 8 other bloggers -- so I didn't post. I was new to the world of blogdom (still am, but have read a lot since then) -- and later, Hedwyg gently chided me that I didn't really have to tag anyone, if I didn't want to. So here are some completely different random facts than I had a while ago:
1. My email is fixed, thank goodness! I found out, almost by accident, on about the 100th tech support phone call (how many times can you say your name, address, and phone number without getting aggravated?), that including URLs in my signature line was the reason for the blockage. I always included my blog address and my parish home page in my email signature. Who knew? Charter's (my ISP) superior anti-spam software was preventing me from sending with these 2 URLs included. Now, if it would only filter out the spam. Sigh. But I love being back in touch with the email world.
2. I sketched and finally got the flower pot that my orchid is in, right. That was yesterday. Despite my best intentions, I didn't get one done today. (A bonus fact: I believe drawing is a skill, not a talent -- though some people are very talented at it, and do it easily, creatively, and well. I believe I can learn to do it, if I practice regularly, and that's my intent.)
3. I had a little outpatient surgery on my back -- got a cyst removed. That was yesterday, and it hurts (though I'm not taking anything for pain, so I guess it's not too bad). It makes me a little cranky and run-down.
4. I usually don't like church business meetings. I always end up stepping on someone's toes. Tonight it was a lady that I truly love. My point was correct, but she didn't like hearing it. And I often get my toes stepped on, too. It bothers me that people don't like/trust/respect their priest. I wish I could be all things to all people, even though I know I can't.
5. I really like my grown-up, big-girl charcoal grill. Here's a picture of it:
The ground sirloin burgers were last night's dinner (tonight's was a frozen mini-pizza, because of the aforementioned business meeting). You see my previously-beloved little-guy grill right behind this one. Twenty bucks, and I can actually stand up to cook. And my first potato salad in years is to die for. Talk about summer fare!
6. I've given up eating pork. Some of my favorite meat products are pork: crisp bacon, sausage patties, ham, barbecue (don't get going on the pork vs. beef barbecue debate -- I'll be opting for beef whenever possible, which isn't often). Someone sent me an email saying that pigs have the intelligence of a 3-year-old. I can't eat anything that smart. Cows could be next, even though I adore good beef. They're such pretty, gentle critters. I'm not sure I'll ever get a conscience about poultry or fish, though -- and I still love lamb. I'm in profound grief over bacon.
7. I'm deeply afraid that there's less to me than meets the eye, psychologically, creatively -- in every way that matters. Whew. There. I've confessed a big one. I like to think of myself as deep and creative, etc. In my worst moments I'm convinced that I'm a shallow poseur. You be the judge.
8. <Sigh of relief> Last one! Gluttony is my choice of the 7 deadly sins. Anything worth doing, is worth doing to excess. Nothing succeeds like excess, etc. I think it's a form of idolatry (loving material things more than what I know is God's fondest wish for me). But oh, how I love good food, good drink, good books, goodness in general! I tend to hoard and overindulge in all the above!
Perhaps some of you will also enjoy pondering (and posting?) 8 random facts about yourself.